Welcome to Sino-Micro!
Sino-Micro stands for The Overseas Chinese Society for Microbiology (海外华人微生物学会). Sino-Micro is an association established by and for overseas Chinese microbiologists.
Sino-Micro is formed to the promotion of discovery, exchange, and dissemination of knowledge and ideas in the field of microbiology and professional growth and career development of overseas Chinese microbiologists. Sino-Micro acts in two principal ways: (i) facilitating interaction between members; and (ii) interaction between members and microbiologists in China. Sino-Micro accomplishes these objectives through meetings and symposia, dissemination of technical information, mentoring of students and young scholars, and participation in national and international research and educational programs.
Highlight: The 2019 Sino-Micro Symposium on July 12-15, 2019, Beijing
- 6/18/2019: Prof. Jizhong (Joe) Zhou received the 2019 ASM Award for Environmental Research. This award "Recognizes an outstanding scientist with distinguished research achievements that have improved our understanding of microbes in the environment, including aquatic, terrestrial and atmospheric settings." Congratulations!
- 4/26/2019: The first newletter was announced.
- 1/24/2019: The second circulation of the 2019 Sino-Micro Symposium was announced. We look forward to seeing you at the beautiful Yanqi Lake Campus of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, located in Huairou District, Beijing.
- 6/15/2018：Prof. Xingmin Sun, our SinoMicro member from USF Health Department of Molecular Medicine, has been funded through a newly awarded $2 million NIH R01 grant and a NIH R21 grant to develop effective vaccines against Clostridium difficile infection (CDI). Dr. Sun was interviewed at the ASM Microbe 2018 conference to share his team's progress and perspectives. Watch the videos of his interviews: "A Vaccine for C. difficile: Current Progress", and "A Vaccine for C. difficile: What to Consider".
- 6/6/2018: The final program of the 2018 Sino-Micro Symposium announced. The information of the final program is also recorded on the 2018 Sino-Micro Symposium website.
- 5/23/2018: An updated program of the 2018 Sino-Micro Symposium announced. The information of the final program is also recorded on the 2018 Sino-Micro Symposium website.
- 4/28-29/2018: The program of the 2018 Sino-Micro Symposium was updated. The information of the final program is also recorded on the 2018 Sino-Micro Symposium website.
- 3/14/2018: The first draft program of the 2018 Sino-Micro Symposium announced. The information of the first draft program was also recorded on the 2018 Sino-Micro Symposium website.
- 2/19/2018: The 2018 Sino-Micro/ASM Society Day registration website is now ready for members to register. The registration website is here: http://www.sinomicro.org/2018symp/registration.php. Please register soon.
- 02/06/2018: In the general ASM meeting this year, a 2018 Sino-Micro Symposium will be held on June 7, 2018. Please join the global leaders in fundamental, clinical & translational, and environmental microbiology to interpret the history and shape the hottest future of microbiology, business and global collaboration.
- 03/17/2017: Xi, Chuanwu (president of Sino-Micro) emailed: "We are excited to announce that this year our annual symposium will be held in Xi'an from 6/29-7/1/2017. You may know that we have decided that we alternate our annual meeting location in the US and China each year. This year, Dr. Haihua Liang from Northwest Unversity at Xi'an graciously agree to host the meeting for us." Please see the first announcement of the event. We hope to see you at the meeting and present your very recent discoveries. The 2017 symposium website is: http://www.microsociety.com.cn/. Please go to the website and submiet your abstract by 5/20/2017. We appreciate very much if you can let us know earlier once you decide to join.
- 06/15/2016: 2016 Sino-Micro business meeting was also held on June 15, 2016.
- Wang, Hua (Ohio State University), a two-term board members of Sino-Micro and the Past Division Chair of Food Microbiology of ASM, was elected as 2016-2018 Sino-Micro Secretory and President-Elect. Xi, Chuanwu (Univ. of Michigan), the current President-Elect, will be the 2016-2018 Sino-Micro President.
- 2016 Excellence in Service Awards were given to the following members: Tang, Yi-Wei (Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center), Wang, Hua (Ohio State Univ.), Zhang, Jing-Ren (Tsinghua Univ.), Zhang, Qijing (Iowa State Univ.),
and Zhou, Jizhong (Univ. of Oklahoma). This was just a small token to show our appreciation to their service and dedication to SINO-Micro organization. As Frank introduced: "They have served as SINO-Micro board members for two consecutive terms during 2010-2016, and are the key members of building SINO-Micro since the beginning. They rotated off from the board after finishing two terms to give opportunity to other members to serve, but they all expressed their continuing dedication to serve SINO-Micro."
- New board members were also elected by a formal voting process.
- An amendment of Sino-Micro Bylaw was passed during the meeting.
- 06/15/2016: The one-day 2016 Sino-Micro Symposium (“International Symposium of One Health: the Role of Microbe”) was held succefully. See the meeting program for detail.
- 11/19/2015: The abstract submission for ASM Microbe 2016 (June 16-20, Boson, MA) was open. The conference abstract submission deadline is January 12, 2016. Note that our Sino-Micro symposium will be held on June 15, 2016, one day before the ASM Microbe 2016 conference starts.
- 11/15/2015: A web page was generated for the 2016 Sino-Micro Symposium. The first circular document is HERE.
- 11/13/2015: 中科院医药学组院士新鲜出炉，祝贺邵峰当选! 邵峰 (Shao, Feng) , a Sino-Micro member, is 北京生命科学研究所学术副所长 and 资深研究员. His research "专注研究病原细菌感染宿主和宿主先天性免疫防御的分子机制".
- 10/28/2-15: 首届“周集中—石小娅奖学金”颁奖仪式在清华大学中意环境节能楼举行. 清华大学环境学院“千人计划”特聘教授周集中为首批5名获奖的研究生和本科生颁发了证书. Prof. Jizhong Zhou (our Sino-Micro member) and his wife set up the “周集中—石小娅奖学金”, 用于奖励清华大学从事生态学、环境科学和工程专业的优秀学生。从而促进清华大学生态学、环境科学和工程专业的学生培养，为优秀学生提供更多的激励.
- 5/23/2015: Hua Wang’s research findings on antibiotic resistance received lots of media coverages as well as award:
- 5/22/2015: Please join us to congratulate Joe (Ji-Zhong) Zhou to receive the highly prestigious 2014 Ernest Orlando Lawrence Award (劳伦斯奖)! Lawrence Award in biological and environmental sciences is the Department of Energy’s highest scientific award. The Lawrence Award was established by President Dwight Eisenhower to honor the memory of Dr. Ernest Orlando Lawrence, who invented the cyclotron - an accelerator of subatomic particles - and received a 1939 Nobel Laureate in physics for the achievement. The news was just announced today at different websites:
- 4/22/2015: Chuanwu Xi announced the news on the "2015 Annual Business Meeting in New Orleans". Time: 6:30-8:00 pm, Sunday, May 31, 2015. Venue: Room (Galerie 2), New Orleans Marriott Hotel (asm2015 Headquarters). Agenda: (1) Sino-Micro business briefing and plan for a symposium in 2016; (2) Member Research update (15min/speaker, 3-5 speakers). In addition, there will be a Dinner together starting at 8:00 pm (optional and on own).
Check: more Sino-Micro News.